During Summer 2015 NW ADASS reviewed its role and working arrangements in the context of:
- Ongoing reductions in local government funding, with the 2015 budget signaling ongoing austerity until at least 2018
- An exciting and positive reform agenda, focusing upon integration and a care offer premised on wellbeing, prevention and the asset based approaches described within the Care Act.
- The need for Sector Led Improvement to meaningfully improve services, to support one another on underperformance, and provide evidence to avoid centrally imposed regulation.
- The development of a regional programme management capacity and provision of regional funding via DH, LGA, and some pooling by NW Directors.
- In comparison to other regions the NW is one of the biggest, with 23 local authorities, and most diverse.
The NW ADASS Branch provides visible leadership on behalf of adult services in the North West.
· To act as the overall Executive for use of regional funding and programme management capacity
· Support communication across NW Directors of Adult Services
· Support NW ADASS Policy Leads and influence national policy
· Provide the mandate for NW groups and networks to collaborate
· A point of engagement for engaging key partners win the region
· A point of engagement with the national ADASS meeting and other key bodies (LGA and DH)
The Branch lead officers are:
Chair: Stuart Cowley, Director for Adults and Health at Wigan Council
Treasurer: Stephanie Butterworth, Executive Director – People at Tameside Council
Secretary: Pat Jones-Greenhalgh, Executive Director – Communities and Wellbeing, Bury Council
The NW ADASS Branch Meeting is the focal point for leadership and collaboration across adult services in the region.
The purpose of the Branch Meeting is:
- Visible leadership on behalf of adult services in the NW
- To act as the overall Executive for use of regional funding and programme management capacity
- Support communication across NW Directors of Adult Services
- Support NW ADASS Policy Leads and influence national policy
- Provide the mandate for NW groups and networks to collaborate
- A point of engagement for engaging key partners with a regional footprint
The key body supporting the Branch Meeting will be the NW Improvement Board.
- Chair of the Improvement Board
- Sub-regional Director Leads
- NW ADASS Policy Leads
- Chairs of NW ADASS groups and networks – colleagues who take lead roles for the range of NW groups and networks that support improvement, e.g. Finance and Resources, Commissioning, and NW Performance Leads. There will be an expectation that once a year chairs will provide a short update to the Improvement Board.
- Dedicated NW Regional Programme Management capacity.
The NW ADASS Branch meeting will meet 4 times a year. The NW ADASS Programme Office will arrange teleconferences when required, particularly regarding decisions about use of funding.
Decision making and Financial Reporting
The Improvement Board will receive a financial update from Programme Managers at each meeting and where possible decisions will be taken by the Board Improvement. This will allocate responsibility for key regional funding. Regional funding includes grant allocations and any agreed pooled funds.
- Membership will be made up of the 23 Directors of Adult Services.