Is This Programme For You?
In the current climate of uncertainty and potential for conflicts to arise, how much better it would be to be able to nip things in the bud, before disputes become grievances or disciplinary matters. Mediation is becoming a valuable skill in functional organisations. In one sense Mediation is no big deal. The need to mediate has been around for as long as people have been in dispute and most of us pick up mediating skills from our everyday experiences. The aim of this course is to cover the entire mediation process from first contact through to review and closure. It aims to give participants an extensive foundation in advanced Mediation Skills, such as active listening, impartiality, rapport building, managing difficult conversations and facilitating change. It aims to develop an understanding of mediators’ own responses to conflict, so that they can manage their own feelings and assumptions and interact constructively with disputants.
The course will enable participants to:
- Understand conflict which includes an awareness of the feelings and patterns of behaviour that can be present
- Appreciate the conditions which enable mediation to act as a catalyst for constructive conflict resolution
- Be aware of the skills, behaviours and knowledge required of a mediator and of one’s own competence in these areas
- Understand and use the process of mediation
- Use active listening skills required to develop rapport with disputants
- Develop ways of working that are impartial and which empower disputants to resolve their disputes themselves in a fair and realistic manner
- Use facilitation skills required to manage a face-to-face mediation and encourage disputants to negotiate a mutually acceptable agreement
- Develop ways of working with the difficulties and opportunities provided by the diversity of culture and lifestyles within the organisation.
About Mel Thomas
Mel Thomas, of Mel Thomas and Associates, is a NEREO & NWEO associate and a consultant in the field of Organisational, Management and Employee Development. He is a qualified Psychotherapist and works as an Industrial Mediator in conflict situations in all organisational settings. He has trained Mediators for Greater Manchester Police, Lancashire County Council, Sefton Council, Warrington Council, West Yorkshire Police, Rochdale Council, Barnsley Council, Information Office and Wigan Council amongst others. He is one of the leading UK Mediators.
- 14 April
- 15 April
- 21 April
- 28 April
- 29 April
Participants must attend all dates
£625 (+ VAT) & £100 ILM Registration Fee + VAT
£812.50 + VAT & £100 ILM Registration Fee + VAT
We’re here to help…
For more information please contact one of our helpful and friendly staff members on
Want to run this course In-House? Give us a call and we will be more than happy to help.