Costs: £130 + VAT for Members / £169 + VAT for Non-Members of North West Employers
Venue: North West Employers, Exchange Quay, M5 3EJ
Learn the art of storytelling and how you can turn your messages into powerful stories that have sustained impact.
Individuals, organisations and advertisers are fast learning what great leaders and communicators have always known; storytelling has great power to influence, change and motivate whilst allowing the ‘teller’, to remain authentic. The art of storytelling allows you to turn your messages into powerful stories, engaging and motivating your audience. With the growing need to maximise our resources and the positive impact we have on our colleagues, customers and service users. Storytelling allows you to deliver concise yet positive, meaningful, memorable and motivational presentations and pitches to wide ranging audiences.
* Did you know than an increasing number of multinational organisations, including Microsoft, now have their own Storytellers?
They know that with an overload of digital and other information there has never been a better time for clear, engaging, fun, meaningful and authentic communication delivered through storytelling.
Master storyteller Richard O’Neill’s unique storytelling methods are employed in universities, schools, national charities, professional sport, emergency and public services including the Police, NHS and the Prison service and in a range of social enterprises.
Storytelling has an elegant simplicity and power that moves others to action; the course leader will demonstrate how he has used storytelling to:
- Prevent the planned disruption and disorder during a large public meeting.
- Help to merge two very different cultures in public services.
- Motivate a team of professional footballers to achieve a huge turnaround in results.
- Help prisoners re-bond with their families.
- Help police officers interview victims of crime more effectively and sympathetically.
- Create an award winning international health awareness campaign.
- Help change the law in Scotland.
All of the above examples are from genuine pieces of work carried out by the course leader Richard O’Neill.
By attending this course and learning how his storytelling works, you will be able to add a new and powerful dimension to your communication skills and enjoy doing it.
You will also learn how storytelling skills can help you with:
- Clarifying your message and understanding your audience
- Communicating memorably with head and heart
- Engaging people’s imagination
- Bringing out the best in others
- Grabbing and keeping people’s attention
- Demonstrating leadership
- Accessing skills that will increase your creativity, allow you to create new and imaginative ways of communicating with people and allow you to challenge stereotypes and perceptions in a fun and productive way
- Identifying similarities with diverse audiences
- Motivating yourself and others
Understand how you can use storytelling skills to bring your professional communications, presentations and conversations to life and making them matter to ourself and your audience.
- Learn the basics of how interactive storytelling works.
- Learn about story structure and methods of delivery.
- Learn how to make the stories you tell matter, have increased impact, depth and the power to change, motivate and inform.
- Learn how storytelling can be used to call people to action.
- Learn how storytelling can be used as an excellent communication tool to cut through organisational language, and allow people to really connect with each other.
- Consider how storytelling can allow people to express themselves, no matter what their accent or how they speak.
- Understand that storytelling values difference, allowing us to communicate with people who may not have the best literacy skills, may have sight or hearing impairments, or for whom English is their second language.
To consider how to use storytelling skills in your own role and to encourage others to use them where appropriate.
Who Should attend:
Anyone who wants to improve their communication with other professionals and to a wide range of individuals and leaders within communities.
Councillors, Managers, Team leaders and particularly anyone who has responsibility to directly communicate with colleagues, the public and media.
During the session you will:
- Be coached through basic interactive storytelling skills
- Be told a stor
- Tell a story from your first exercise
- Learn and practice more advanced storytelling skills
- Re-tell your story
- Reflect on your story
- Create and deliver a short presentation using story
- Be coached on how you are going to use these skills in your work
A level 1 storytelling skills certificate from the course leader will be awarded to all participants who successfully complete the course. This certificate from one of the leading storytelling skills trainers in the UK is seen as a genuine benchmark in a fast growing area of communication.